Mentoring McNair Scholars at Iowa State
Mentoring is crucial to McNair Scholar success as they prepare for a graduate education. McNair Scholars are required to select both a faculty mentor and a graduate student mentor to offer research experience, guidance, and developmental support during their time in the McNair program and transition process to graduate school.
Interested in Becoming a McNair Faculty Mentor?
Our McNair Faculty Mentors are asked to:
- Provide an academic research experience to one or more McNair Scholars
- Supervise McNair Scholar in initiating, exploring, and completing a research project during
- Offer guidance, information, and exposure to research opportunities, events, and activities in the best interest of the Scholar
- Share knowledge about the graduate school experience
Interested in Becoming a McNair Graduate Student Mentor?
Graduate Student Mentors are asked to:
- Develop a beneficial peer mentoring relationship with McNair Scholars
- Share knowledge about the implicit and explicit expectations of graduate school
- Assist McNair Scholars in meeting research goals with Faculty Mentors and other components of the McNair Program