The relationship between our Graduate Student Mentors and McNair Scholars is essential to our program. As new McNair Scholars learn the language of academic research and expectations of graduate school, our Graduate Student Mentors walk side-by-side with our McNair Scholars to:
- Assist as McNair Scholars navigate the graduate school culture in classrooms and labs
- Support McNair Scholars in research and graduate school processes that have become second nature to Graduate Student Mentors
Each fall, McNair requires new Graduate Student Mentors to attend a training session, which concludes with signing an agreement to:
- Adhere to and complete McNair Program objectives and goals as outlined in the McNair Graduate Student Mentor manual
- Read and sign Graduate Student Mentoring Memorandum of Understanding
- Commit to a minimum of one academic year of mentoring support and activities with a McNair Scholar
- Meet face-to-face with the McNair Scholar at least once per month
- Attend at least two McNair sponsored social or cultural activities
- Complete an end-of-the-semester evaluation of the McNair Mentoring relationship and Program
Consider becoming a McNair Graduate Student Mentor. Complete the McNair Graduate Student Mentor Interest form.
Graduate Student Mentor of the Year Award
Each year, we ask our McNair Scholars to nominate Graduate Student Mentors for the Graduate Student Mentor of the Year Award.
The winner(s) is/are awarded during the Iowa State University Annual McNair Research Symposium and Banquet held each year in April. In their nominations, Scholars respond to the following questions:
- Why do you feel your mentor is deserving of this recognition?
- How has your mentoring relationship impacted you and prepared you for graduate school, personally and professionally?
Our Past Recipients
2019: Kenna Stenback, Biochemistry, Biophysics and Molecular Biology (McNair Scholar mentee: Iliana Castillo Machuca)
2018: Radhika Rao, Chemical and Biomedical Engineering (McNair Scholar mentee: Brandon Vance)
2017: Shannin Moody, Human Development and Family Studies (McNair Scholar mentee: Mouhamad Diallo)
Therin Young, Mechanical Engineering (McNair Scholar mentee: Jocelyn Jackson)
2016: Michael Martinez, Political Science (McNair Scholar mentee: Chandler Wilkins)
2015: Alexia Angton, Sociology (McNair Scholar mentee: Celize Christy)
Shanise Walker, Mathematics (McNair Scholar mentee: Debbie Lincow)
2014: Christopher Groves, Counseling Psychology (McNair Scholar mentee: Sebastian Niles)
Thank you Graduate Student Mentors! We appreciate your support for our McNair Scholars and program!